The Stayton of Mind

A deeply spiritual experience

Friday, January 27, 2006

London


My sister and I arrived in London on the 30th of December and hoped to spend the New Year in the heart of downtown, but the tubes went on strike and we were stranded at some local bar in West Drayton near the airport (kind of like a South Milwaukee). We still had fun and made the best of it, but it wasn't the New Year celebration we had anticipated. The following day the tubes were running and we made our way into the heart of London and watched their New Year's Day parade. Amazingly it was mostly bands from the United States - even one from Hawaii!!!


London is an amazing city with TONS to do and my sister and I took full advantage. We went to New Year's Day Mass at Westminster Abbey - there are not words to explain the experience. The full choir was there and it was so peaceful. A nun gave the sermon and it was about letting go - a great message for the New Year!

We did a little shopping and bought some hot cross buns...we thought that was funny.


And I found a restaurant named after my sister...I would have liked to have been able to take her to eat there, but it was gourmet French and VERY pricey...so we just took pics!!!


We almost got hit by cars a couple of times because they drive on the opposite side of the road and we would be looking the wrong way when we crossed the street. Luckily they had info on which way to look painted right on the street for all of the dumb tourists! HA!


My Grandpa was generous enough to buy us prime tickets for the London production of The Lion King...the opening song gave me goose bumps and almost brought me to tears! It was phenomenal - and I am a tough theatre critic. The only bad part was the London kids who were talking through the show! I wanted to turn around and say something, but they were everywhere...it wasn't just one bad kid - they were all little buggers=( Before the show we treated ourselves to a lovely dinner of traditional fish and chips=) (Basically a fish fry at the local church in Wisco!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home